Skip Site Navigation to page content menu

Previous Building

Capitol Annex Building

The Library moved twice after leaving the YMCA in 1913. When the State Capitol burned, the Capitol Annex became available. Led by Colonel Humphrey, the community raised the $400,000 purchase price. In May of 1926, the Library moved into its first permanent home, where it remained until 1967.

back to page menu
back to page menu

Current Building

Old arial photo of Federal Building

By the sixties the Library had outgrown the Capitol Annex location, which was also no longer structurally sound. An auction was held to sell the old building and negotiations began to buy the former Federal Building. The Federal Building was gutted, leaving only the stone shell intact. The rebuilding was completed at the end of 1966 and the library moved into its present location in January of 1967.

back to page menu
Main Library with fountain

The fountain created by sculptor Robert Cronback was purchased as part of a gift from the Joe Lowenstein Memorial. It represents water falling over rocks and mountains. It was one of the first pieces of public sculpture in downtown Charleston.

back to page menu
back to page menu